I spend quite a lot of time researching the domain portfolio’s of various companies and individuals. Small, medium or large, I plunge into all of them. This morning I was in Chicago and tiptoed into 250 South Wacker to take a quick look at MillerCoors domain names.
I love to know the domain names that companies are investing in and maintaining in their portfolios; the domains with live websites, the domains that don’t resolve and newly registered domains. It gives me a glimpse of underutilized assets and upcoming programming, especially when checking out a big brewery’s domain portfolio.
This is what I found before MC politely asked me to leave:
- MGD.com is not resolving. Neither is MillerGenuineDraft.com. Maybe they are doing some maintenance on the website or something today. This is a multi-million dollar brand, or at least it used to be. At the very least, redirect the domains to the corporate site.
- MBC.com does not resolve. Neither do MBCO.com, MillerBeer.com, MillerBrewing.com or MillerTime.com – which I really don’t understand. Redirections are very easy to do, just point it to MillerCoors.com.
- MBC.com and MGD.com are very valuable domain names. Generic three letter .com domain are worth six to seven figures. These two are virtually priceless in my opinion. MillerCoors should do whatever they can to hold on to these assets long term. And, use them for something – they’re great domains!
- I’m still in shock that MillerTime.com does not resolve. Maybe they can’t figure out what to do with it. I could. Sell merch and let everyone watch the old commercials. There, a one second solution to the problem. Much better than letting a fabulous asset collect virtual dust.
- GrabAPint.com is a cool name not being use right now. I love these type domains for advertising campaigns and taglines on television, radio and billboards, if they still do that kind of stuff.
- BeerEvents.com is another one that doesn’t resolve. This domain name is easy to remember for all types of scheduling. Maybe a company event portal.
- QueenofHalloween.com is great, but it does not resolve. I miss Elvira!
- CapelineBeverages.com is a new brand on its way. The domain was registered in September, almost a month after the brand was announced – a big no, no in my book. Right now it’s just a placeholder from Network Solutions.
- MillerLiteFootball.com was registered this week, on October 22, 2018. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the website. Fingers crossed.
That’s just a quick look through the domain portfolio of MillerCoors. They have some really great domain names, but are not getting the most out of these domains. I think they should manage these assets a little better.
The problem is that today, social media is all the rage. People that in the past would have designed and developed websites have been reassigned to spreading content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
I’ll end with this. Why allocate 100% of your budget to something that takes people away from your brand. You are sending your customers away. You are reinforcing the Facebook or Twitter brand instead of your own brand.
Allocate more of your budgets to build your own brand. Use Facebook and Twitter as a complement to your brand. Develop those dotcoms and get some use out of your valuable domain names!
Beer, Wine, Spirits Industry Domain Name Picks
In the second part of my daily post, I feature a curated list of today’s expiring domain names. I research the domain name aftermarkets and drop lists everyday to find the best available domain names for beer, wine and spirits companies.
These domain names are perfect branding opportunities for breweries, wineries, distillers, distributors, retailers, vendors, etc., even cannabis companies. You never know, your company’s exact match domain name may be on the list and you can acquire it cheaply in the aftermarket.
Click on the links below to see the current price: (I am not including hyperlinks the first week while I’m still getting my process down. The domains below are expiring today, if you have any questions about a domain please email me – email@example.com – and I can help you acquire it.)
Beer Distro Domain of the Day: WineSite.com – I see this domain as an informational website about, well you guessed it, wine. Very easy to remember and short, nice! Getting some great bids today.
SportPub.com – Short and catchy name for a retail establishment.
FremontStreet.com – This is a fantastic geographic domain. I’m not very keen on street domains unless it’s like the Times Square of the city, and this one is. FremontStreet.com can be used for any type of business on the old strip. Geo domains identify exactly where your focus lies.
FrenchCraft.com – Craft beer from France is a thing, and it’s coming.
Wetness.com – This is a dictionary word and it’s wet. Could be used for a number of liquid campaigns.
Fridges.com – Here’s another one-worder. I like the singular better, but it still has cold connotations.
Ebiba.com – I like this short brandable. I see imbibe, a little. It could work as a brand name.
OptimalBeverages.com – Good distributor name here. But, as always I would rather have the singular version of company names.
LaMontagna.com – I believe this is a wine family name and there may already be a brand called LaMontagna. Oh well, it sounds like a wine brand, anyway.
ColorWater.com – Short, catchy and memorable. Perfect brand domain name. It’s generic like Vitamin Water and stands out.
TheHemp.com – Getting the most attention on the board, already $4,000 in bids. Hemp is all the rage and as soon as the Farm Bill passes, hemp is going to be planted all over the place. The Hemp is a great short domain for a brand, you don’t forget these types of domain names as products.
CornerSupply.com – Awesome generic name for a retail, even wholesale business. As a neighborhood cannabis shop? Gold baby, gold!
Plovdiv.com – Plovdiv is the ancient city of Philippopolis, conquered by Philip II of Macedon (the father of Alexander the Great) in the 4th century BC. Plovdiv is home to the first commercial Bulgarian brewery, it’s successor being the Kamenitza Brewery, now owned by Molson Coors.
TwoDawgs.com – Remember the Two Dogs alcopop? This is an example of a domain that fails the radio test.
ReignWater.com – This one, too. RainWater.com is the killer domain, though.
FlyingHands.com – I like this domain as a brewery name. Or, am I thinking Flying Dog or 4 Hands or what?
Southover.com – Old village in the UK, also the name of an English brewery, circa 1750.
That’s all for today people. I hope you enjoyed the domains. Please feel free to click on any of the names for prices or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you tomorrow,